INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Homeopathy

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Re: Homeopathy

#1121 Post by Alan H » December 11th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Blogging: Zeno's Blog » Paying the price of homeopathic research
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

draykorinee

#1122 Post by draykorinee » December 12th, 2013, 4:06 pm

http://youtu.be/Ep3pO7X7fEQ?t=9m55s Lol Isaw this an instantly thought of you Alan, just the 15-20 seconds from 9:55 onwards :P (I nkow the link wont work, just copy paste. (NSFW)
sanctimonious
ˌsaŋ(k)tɪˈməʊnɪəs/Submit
adjectivederogatory
making a show of being morally superior to other people.

Alan H

#1123 Post by Alan H » April 3rd, 2014, 12:01 am

The Nightingale Collaboration: The decline of homeopathy on the NHS

With pretty pictures...
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

jaywhat

#1124 Post by jaywhat » April 3rd, 2014, 3:17 pm

Nice one

Alan H

#1125 Post by Alan H » April 3rd, 2014, 3:27 pm

The decline of homeopathy on the NHS continues - now updated with 2013 data.

The data for 2013 were released today and the charts now include the new figures.

The downward trend of the last 17 years continues, with a further drop in the number of items prescribed of 15% from 2012 to 2013.

But the costs per item are still increasing, with inflation-busting prices rises of 40%, 13% and 11% from 2010 and a further 15% increase from 2012 to 2013, giving a doubling of the cost per item since 2009.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#1126 Post by Alan H » April 8th, 2014, 4:39 pm

The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) have recently completed their evaluation of the evidence for homeopathy and have published their draft report.
Their objective was:
…to summarise the evidence from systematic reviews regarding the effectiveness of homeopathy as a treatment for any clinical condition in humans.
Results:
A total of 57 systematic reviews were identified that met the criteria for inclusion within this Overview Report. The relevant reviews tended to have one of three main objectives (i) to review a variety of complementary and alternative medicines (CAM), including homeopathy, for the treatment of a particular clinical condition or specific clinical area, (ii) to review homeopathy for the treatment of one clinical condition, or (iii) to review homeopathy for the treatment of a variety of clinical conditions. The reviews examined the evidence for a total of 68 clinical conditions and included seven clinical conditions for which no relevant primary studies were identified. Of the remaining 61 clinical conditions, the total number of participants included in the trial(s) was less than 150 for 36 of the clinical conditions examined. The total number of participants included in the trial(s) was between 150 and 499 for 15 clinical conditions. The evidence base for 10 clinical conditions collectively comprised 500 or more participants. There were 31 clinical conditions for which only one Level II or Level III-2 study was identified.
After their comprehensive investigation of the evidence, they concluded:
There is a paucity of good-quality studies of sufficient size that examine the effectiveness of homeopathy as a treatment for any clinical condition in humans. The available evidence is not compelling and fails to demonstrate that homeopathy is an effective treatment for any of the reported clinical conditions in humans.
In other news, bears, woods, Pope, Catholic.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#1127 Post by Dave B » April 8th, 2014, 4:57 pm

So, taking some of the words left out of your last sentence, Alan, and applying them as a description of homoeopathy:

"Is shit"
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#1128 Post by Alan H » April 8th, 2014, 5:27 pm

:laughter:
Alan Henness

Nick

#1129 Post by Nick » April 9th, 2014, 5:45 pm

From
Tim Worstall for your amusement.
Homeopathy is no more effective than a placebo, a national medical agency has concluded in a hard-hitting report.
Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) analysed research into the effectiveness of alternative medicines on 68 health conditions and found ‘there is no reliable evidence that homeopathy is effective’ on any of them.
This proves that it works of course.

Well, think it through. The entire absence of any actual active ingredient is what is claimed makes it work. So therefore the entire absence of any evidence that it does work is proof that it does.

And therefore, of course, we should cut the NHS homeopathy budget to 1 pence and cure every disease in the Kingdom.

Plus a few comments:
Exactly how do you succuss an NHS budget figure?
If you stop taking a homeopathic cure, do you die of an overdose?

Hi Tim,

I don’t think you have quite got the hang of Homeopathy – 1 p will be too “weak” because it has not been “successed” – remember less is more.

Let’s use homeopathic finance to finance homeopathy – here is how it would work:

1. Create a limited shares company with 100 shares and a total equity of 1p.
2. Create a second limited shares company with 100 shares and transfer the ownership of one share of company 1 to the second company.
3. Repeat 200 times.
4. Use one share certificate of the final company (plus one sugar pill) to finance homeopathy in the NHS.
5. It works using a quantum phenomenon called “share memory” – each limited company maintains a quantum memory of the finances of the previous one. It’s a quantummy thingie that works is a quantummy way – so only advanced economists understand it – you’ll just have to trust me on this one.
6. Quantum.
Is homeopathy the one where you ingest more of the toxin in an attempt to detoxify?

Just like more deficit spending will enable us to reach escape velocity?

Homeopathonomics that is.

As I like to point out, if homeopathy was ever shown to work then it would have to be immediately banned, because then we’d have no idea how it worked or what possible side-effects might be thrown up by this entirely unexplained process.
:D

Tetenterre

#1130 Post by Tetenterre » April 10th, 2014, 5:10 pm

One of my favourites is:
Homeopaths don't have brains; they just have skull-water with the memory of brains.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

lewist

#1131 Post by lewist » June 20th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Well, there seems to some sort of football thing going on in S America somewhere. And one of the teams is using homeopathy to sort out its players' injuries.

I guess it must work after all.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#1132 Post by Alan H » June 20th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Good grief. I'm sure I've seen the homeopathy acolytes punting this.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#1133 Post by Dave B » June 20th, 2014, 7:49 pm

So, what's the homeopathetic cure for a kick in the shin then?
A new study shows that the German national team places unusual trust in natural healing over traditional medicine.
Er, I thought "traditional medicine" was herbs and things . . . Or has "tradition" moved into the 21st C?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

lewist

#1134 Post by lewist » June 20th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Dave B wrote:So, what's the homeopathetic cure for a kick in the shin then?
Arnica, I think.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Dave B

#1135 Post by Dave B » June 20th, 2014, 8:51 pm

lewist wrote:
Arnica, I think.
Weave it into a pressure bandage maybe?

:wink:
Me, 2015

Alan H

#1136 Post by Alan H » June 20th, 2014, 8:59 pm

lewist wrote:
Arnica, I think.
Whatever the ailment, Arnica is always the answer...
Alan Henness

Dave B

#1137 Post by Dave B » June 20th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Alan H wrote:
lewist wrote:
Arnica, I think.
I would have thought extracts of leather and plastic might have been more appropriate. Or should it be extracts of cotton and plaster of Paris if there is a break?
Me, 2015

jdc

#1138 Post by jdc » June 21st, 2014, 7:52 pm

Alan H wrote:
lewist wrote:
Arnica, I think.
I was going to say "what about gunshot wounds", but I've checked and I can see at least one person includes arnica in their list of remedies for gunshot wounds: http://web.archive.org/web/201101021611 ... ave-helped (via http://skeptophilia.blogspot.co.uk/2013 ... ounds.html)
In one year 85,000 Americans were wounded by firearms, of which 38,000 die, 2,600 children. Homeopathy could have helped with ledum pelustre , aconitum napellum, arnica Montana and individualized constitutional treatments.
My Blog; Twitter.
Email: 325jdc325 (at) googlemail.com

Alan H

#1139 Post by Alan H » June 21st, 2014, 10:56 pm

Good god. Are there no depths to which they will not plumb?
Alan Henness

Dave B

#1140 Post by Dave B » June 22nd, 2014, 9:25 am

I echo your sentiments, Alan.
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#1141 Post by Tetenterre » June 22nd, 2014, 3:15 pm

Back to teh German soccer players: I bet it's not only homeopathy they use....
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.