INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Good science v Bad (or pseudo) Science

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
geolab

Re: Good science v Bad (or pseudo) Science

#21 Post by geolab » January 16th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Here's an interesting article written by Physicist John Droz, Jr. in North Carolina. He writes about the struggle against a few Green activists on the Coastal Resources Commission (NC), they wanted to impose new rules and laws based on a single bad science sea level rise report.

http://www.masterresource.org/2012/06/f ... -carolina/
..besieged, by a thousand or more .. Mexicans.. surrender at discretion, otherwise, ... put to the sword, .. I have answered.. with a cannon shot, .... sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier ... Victory or Death. William Barret Travis

animist

#22 Post by animist » January 16th, 2013, 5:58 pm

geolab wrote:Here's an interesting article written by Physicist John Droz, Jr. in North Carolina. He writes about the struggle against a few Green activists on the Coastal Resources Commission (NC), they wanted to impose new rules and laws based on a single bad science sea level rise report.

http://www.masterresource.org/2012/06/f ... -carolina/
since this thread is about good v bad science, I wonder how you decided that the report you refer to was bad science. IIRC, this case featured the NC-20's demand that only certain scientific data was allowable (if that ain't bad science, what is?), and we on TH discussed this a few months ago:

http://forum.thinkhumanism.com/viewtopi ... =14&t=5496

jdc

#23 Post by jdc » February 3rd, 2013, 7:37 pm

animist wrote:
jdc wrote: Firstly, it occurred to me that "peer-reviewed" doesn't necessarily equate to "credible". There are peer-reviewed alternative medicine journals publishing positive papers regarding disproven remedies. They have people like Dana Ullman, Lionel Milgrom, Michael Dixon and Harald Walach on the editorial board, George Lewith as executive editor and Kim Jobst as editor-in-chief. Here's a press release they issued: http://www.liebertpub.com/global/pressr ... ne-em/421/ "The October 2005 issue of The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, which commemorates the 250th anniversary of the birth of Samuel Hahnemann, the founding father of homeopathy, makes it very clear that homeopathy works and is far from dead.". I'm not familiar with the journals listed on the page the desmog blog links to so I don't know whether they can be fairly compared to journals such as JACM. It's always worth asking though, when you see "peer-reviewed", who the peers are. (Also: it wouldn't surprise me if well-regarded scientists were able to get poor papers published in even fairly decent journals from time to time simply because they have a good reputation. I'm thinking particularly of scientists who are brilliant in their own area but can't resist dabbling in other areas of science where they are less brilliant. People a bit like Linus Pauling, who was a great chemist but not so hot when it came to conducting medical research. Or a porphyrin chemist who writes quantum wibble about homeopathy.) I'd tend to be more suspicious of papers that aren't peer-reviewed, but peer-review isn't a guarantee of quality.

The point re Russian papers is one that interested me too. I took a look at some papers a while ago re research from certain countries: http://jdc325.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/ ... -research/ There was a study that looked at acupuncture trials originating in China, Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan – which were all positive – as well as trials published in Russia/USSR, of which 10 out of 11 were positive. Similar results were found in trials of interventions other than acupuncture. Another paper found benefit for St John's wort for depression. Although St John’s Wort was significantly more effective than placebo, this was only true when studies from German-speaking countries were examined.
that is all very interesting. Maybe I could play devil's advocate and quibble about your saying "disproven": a bit like God, these techniques cannot be conclusively be disproved. And of course, if what is actually a dubious theory attains the status of a distinct branch of knowledge, whether this is theology or alternative medicine, it, as you imply, will have its own set of peer reviewers; the process is self-reinforcing
Mm, perhaps not "conclusively" disproven. What we're talking about, though, are the hypotheses that treatments a, b or c work. Research has been undertaken with the aim of confirming or disproving them. I don't think you can ever claim that the science is final and x or y has been conclusively confirmed or disproven but, for all practical purposes, various alt med treatments have been disproven. The remedy I focused on as an example (in the section that referred to "disproven remedies") was homeopathy. I think disproven is certainly an appropriate term to use for that particular remedy. We've had hundreds of papers from people attempting to confirm or disprove the hypothesis that homeopathy works and analysis of the best of these efforts suggests that the hypothesis is false.
My Blog; Twitter.
Email: 325jdc325 (at) googlemail.com

Alan H

#24 Post by Alan H » May 11th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Confusing correlation with causation: Spurious correlations
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#25 Post by Alan H » September 7th, 2014, 12:58 am

By Prof Brian Cox: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SCIENCE AND ENTERTAINMENT
BUT, there is statement that I believe to be correct, and can be made with certainty. It is this: The consensus scientific view is the best we can do at any given time, given the available data and our understanding of it. It is not legitimate and certainly of no scientific value (although there may be political value) to attack a prediction because you don’t like the consequences, or you don’t like the sort of people who are happy with the prediction, or you don’t like the people who made the prediction, or you don’t like the sort of policy responses that prediction might suggest or encourage, or even if you simply see yourself as a challenger of consensus views in the name of some ideal or other. It is only appropriate to criticize a prediction or theory based on specific criticisms of the data, methodology or the underlying theoretical framework. It is content-less to criticize a scientific prediction because you don’t like it.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#26 Post by Dave B » September 7th, 2014, 9:36 am

All good, if obvious to the rationally minded, stuff.

Haven't found how to cut and paste on this tablet but the final line needs modifying to make it of general use: merely change "science" for "facts" or "knowledge".

But then, politicians don't accept facts they do not like, as the article implies.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015