INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

GM and the Greens

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Re: GM and the Greens

#241 Post by Alan H » August 11th, 2015, 10:09 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I'm not so sure. This UK site, Blight Watch would seem to imply that eternal vigilance across all of the UK is required and that, a relatively small change in the weather or climate might see it a bigger problem than it might currently be. Perhaps it's prudent to grow blight-resistant crops now rather than waiting for it to happen then panic?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#242 Post by Alan H » January 19th, 2016, 11:40 pm

An interesting article on organic, GMOs and pesticides, highlighting the difference between hazard and risk, and labelling: Real Truth In Labeling: Why Organic Groups Object
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#243 Post by Alan H » May 29th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Many of the anti-GMO tropes refuted: Is Monsanto evil?
Seriously. I’ve never been impressed by the hysterical anti-GMO rants; they’re as uninformed and anti-intellectual as antvaxxers. But I did still buy into the “Monsanto is teh eeeeebil” propaganda. In fact, I wanted to blog about how evil Monsanto was. But, because I like being thorough and citing my sources in my blog posts, I started researching the company’s history.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#244 Post by Dave B » May 29th, 2016, 8:40 pm

So often, so very often, does one here of these legends and myths. Years sgo I used to believe almost anything that lots of people said often.

Then I grew up.

Bit like those statistics that government ministers and others politicians are so proud of that turn out yo be BTWs in c8nversation or bits cherry picked from theses or whstever and used out of context.

Sorting the truth ftom the lies is dificult, wish there were more progs like "More of Less" to inject facts into the fantasies our so called leaders weave!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Gottard

#245 Post by Gottard » May 30th, 2016, 10:35 am

Monsanto and several US companies -especially chemical, oil and pharma, are extremely powerful lobbyists with the US and EU establishment. It is very difficult to distinguish genuine -or not- press articles. Cynically speaking: rather than their power we have to dread their counterparts, i.e. their political contacts (political weakness, corruption, treachery). When voting, will the candidate respond to me or rather the lobbyists? :puzzled:
Btw: Monsanto (US) and Bayer (CH) are considering to merge, at present.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience