INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Nightingale Collaboration

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Dave B

Re: The Nightingale Collaboration

#361 Post by Dave B » December 11th, 2014, 11:23 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:
Alan H wrote:We didn't do much - just submitted our response to the consultation.

I may be quoted in the papers tomorrow - I'll let you know.
What "rank" are you now, Alan? "Spokesman", "Campaigner" . . . ?

But I agree with Alan C., if you and others do not respond to such things nowt gets done.
Oh, serial complainer, at least!
Ah, "Campaigner" then!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#362 Post by Alan H » December 11th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Oh well, I wasn't quoted: Patients slam homeopathy cuts
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#363 Post by Alan H » December 13th, 2014, 10:51 am

Do I get thrown out of here for appearing in an 'Advent Calendar'?

Recorded this yesterday for the Cosmic Genome...

Director of The Nightingale Collaboration Alan Henness talks about the welcome end of NHS referrals to Glasgow’s Homeopathic Hospital.

Listen to the other days. Some are far more interesting!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#364 Post by Dave B » December 13th, 2014, 11:22 am

Alan H wrote:Do I get thrown out of here for appearing in an 'Advent Calendar'?
Hmm, considering the subject matter I think we can allow you to stay.

Apart from that if we voted you out maybe the boss would "vote us out" as well! :D

Perhaps another small step in the advent of a new, true scientific age?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#365 Post by Tetenterre » December 14th, 2014, 1:15 pm

Very good content, Alan. I thought you made your points well.

... but, if I may be hypercritical with the intent of triggering future improvements:
* That background music was dire! (& too loud) - it was a relief when it stopped for the last few seconds.
* I found the "wandering and randomly zooming" camera to be really distracting.
* I think it would have worked much better as an "interview" format, in a less-stark environment (although wooden panellng is far preferable to the faux tropical beach scenes beloved by the likes of the TatMaggot).

...just my £0.02 -- do with it what you will :wink:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#366 Post by Alan H » December 14th, 2014, 1:57 pm

It was filmed in Conway Hall with me sitting on the edge of the stage. I must admit I never heard the music...
Alan Henness

Dave B

#367 Post by Dave B » December 14th, 2014, 5:24 pm

I didn't notice the music at all on my first listen - wonder if that was dubbed in later?
Me, 2015

Alan H

#368 Post by Alan H » January 9th, 2015, 12:00 am

I gave a talk on Tuesday at Nottingham Skeptics in the Pub. It went well and that had a fantastic canal-side venue, complete with two canal boats moored up inside the pub!

Anyway, someone reviewed it so I thought I'd share it... It's not often I am compared to Elliot Ness... :dance:

Ooh, me back
Alan Henness

Dave B

#369 Post by Dave B » January 9th, 2015, 10:46 am

Alan H wrote: It's not often I am compared to Elliot Ness... :dance:
Nah, you don't have slicked down hair with a centre parting for a start. :laughter:
Me, 2015

Alan H

#370 Post by Alan H » January 9th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Dave B wrote:
Alan H wrote: It's not often I am compared to Elliot Ness... :dance:
Nah, you don't have slicked down hair with a centre parting for a start. :laughter:
Yeah. Maybe ten years ago. OK, twenty...
Alan Henness

Tetenterre

#371 Post by Tetenterre » January 11th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:Nah, you don't have slicked down hair with a centre parting for a start. :laughter:
Yeah. Maybe ten years ago. OK, twenty...
Alan, you are far too modest. I'm sure I recall Athena (posting elsewhere) recently identifying you, from behind, in the studio audience on Pointless. If I recall correctly, the identifying feature was a very large, approximately circular, centre-parting.

:D :exit:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#372 Post by Alan H » January 11th, 2015, 1:17 pm

:hilarity:
Alan Henness

Alan H

#373 Post by Alan H » January 28th, 2015, 12:23 am

The Nightingale Collaboration: Treating Ebola with 'bioresonance'
Alan Henness

Alan H

#374 Post by Alan H » April 8th, 2015, 11:03 am

Alan Henness

Alan H

#375 Post by Alan H » April 13th, 2015, 10:49 am

Not us, but Simon Singh's Good Thinking Society, but I've been involved:

In today's Liverpool Echo: Liverpool NHS to review £30k homeopathy bill after threat of legal action

And from the lawyers, Bindmans: Liverpool CCG to reconsider ongoing funding of homeopathy following judicial review challenge
Alan Henness

Alan H

#376 Post by Alan H » April 13th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#377 Post by Alan H » May 15th, 2015, 1:40 pm

My interview with Mark Pentler of Edinburgh Skeptics, recorded at the recent QED Conference in Manchester: Special: QED 2015 Special Part 1
Alan Henness

Tetenterre

#378 Post by Tetenterre » May 17th, 2015, 1:34 pm

Want to give us a clue where in the 51:44 it is? :D
Steve

Alan H

#379 Post by Alan H » May 17th, 2015, 1:45 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Want to give us a clue where in the 51:44 it is? :D
:cross:

It might have helped if I had linked to the second part of the podcast and not the first... :D

Anyway, I start at 4 m 20 s in: Special: QED 2015 Special Part 2 0
Alan Henness

Tetenterre

#380 Post by Tetenterre » May 17th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Ah. That explains why I couldn't find it... :laughter:

Listening now -- nicely coherent... :wink:
Steve

Dave B

#381 Post by Dave B » May 17th, 2015, 4:05 pm

Yup, good interview there, Alan. :thumbsup: I learned from that.

The one with the Christian protester was well done as well, he will hopefully go away withe the idea that all skeptics are not rabid atheists reinforced. Will listen to rest later.
Me, 2015