View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 29th, 2014, 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Incurable stupidity and irresponsibility at WDDTY 

Is the magazine now trolling with claims that Vitamin C can cure AIDS and cancer?
http://www.quackometer.net/blog/2013/02 ... er+blog%29

I found this especially amusing, though it won't be for people who overdoes on vitamin pills....

"WDDTY argues that the daily recommended amounts of Vitamin C are far too low. It is a common theme in alternative medicine circles that RDA’s are a conspiracy to keep our vitamin intake low and to keep us ill. The magazine suggests that doses many times higher are needed. Doses that range into the levels that start producing serious side effects in people."

Is it bad to find that funny? Probably :exit:

February 2nd, 2013, 10:28 am

After my heart attack I helped with some research to test the theory that large doses of vitamin C (1gram/day) "smoothed" the lining of blood vessels.

Whilst waiting for the final session I read a Reader's Digest article where some researchers had found out that large doses of vitamin C had the effect of roughening the lining of the blood vessels and enhanced the chance of plaques forming. The researcher was not happy when I showed her the article!

So, even the professional medics can't get it right and if there is a chance that the second theory was correct this could be dodgy for those at risk!

February 2nd, 2013, 10:37 am
Profile WWW

A few of us are having a bit of fun with WDDTY on Facebook. They are offering five subscriptions for the best (as voted by others) slogans to replace “Take control of your own health” on the strap-line of the magazine. They didn't like (and deleted) my "Touting potentised bollox since 1989", so I've replaced it by a Latin one (translates as "Because we know that you have shit for brains", but which I think most translation bots will render as something to do with "fertilizer for the mind" :wink: ). Other "sceptic" ones are those from David James (@StortSkeptic on Twitter), David Bradley (@sciencebase), and Peter Stephens (@PedroStefano). Hoping that @SciSteve will join in. Idea is to try to win the five free subs (social benefit: keeps 60 copies from the inanely credulous :D ).

So, if anyone here who has a FaceBook account would like to vote for us to help us win (we only have the top 3 places so far), or would like to join in the fun and games ar WDDTY's expense, pop over to https://apps.facebook.com/easypromos/promotions/79295 ...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. (Richard Feynman)

April 4th, 2013, 9:16 am
Profile WWW

About 10 years ago, I self-prescribed vitamin supplements and took vit C and iron pills. The iron was specifically because when donating blood, I was told that I was slightly aneamic. After a year or two on these supplements, for various reasons, i was prompted to come off them. My mood suddenly improved, and the headaches I had been suffering from ceased. I've have never felt the need to go back to them and my general health has only improved.

April 6th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Yes, one can have too much of a good thing! Can't remember whether excess Vit C gets excreted, I took 1000 x RDA doses of it for 6 months as part of an research project and suffered no noticeable ill effects. IIRC it is necessary to take Vit C with iron for the body to assimilate the latter.

I know that after my heart attack, and heavy doses of iron, in hospital my pooh smelt "metallic" (bit like my dad's blacksmithing shop) so I guess the excess was being excreted.

I think it best to eat some extra fruit if more C is needed.

Luverly subject ennit!

April 6th, 2013, 4:54 pm
Profile WWW

Tetenterre wrote:
A few of us are having a bit of fun with WDDTY on Facebook...
I voted for Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you, by David James, presently on 14 votes. Most of the pathetic attempts have no votes at all, with the next in line having 3 at the moment. It's not a runaway success, is it?

April 7th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
A few of us are having a bit of fun with WDDTY on Facebook. They are offering five subscriptions for the best (as voted by others) slogans to replace “Take control of your own health” on the strap-line of the magazine. They didn't like (and deleted) my "Touting potentised bollox since 1989", so I've replaced it by a Latin one (translates as "Because we know that you have shit for brains", but which I think most translation bots will render as something to do with "fertilizer for the mind" :wink: ). Other "sceptic" ones are those from David James (@StortSkeptic on Twitter), David Bradley (@sciencebase), and Peter Stephens (@PedroStefano). Hoping that @SciSteve will join in. Idea is to try to win the five free subs (social benefit: keeps 60 copies from the inanely credulous :D ).

So, if anyone here who has a FaceBook account would like to vote for us to help us win (we only have the top 3 places so far), or would like to join in the fun and games ar WDDTY's expense, pop over to https://apps.facebook.com/easypromos/promotions/79295 ...

I think they should market their mag to gamblers. So the slogan needs to be something along the lines of "Gamblers: enjoy a flutter? Why not take a real risk and follow our health advice?"

April 7th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Profile WWW

jdc wrote:
I think they should market their mag to gamblers. So the slogan needs to be something along the lines of "Gamblers: enjoy a flutter? Why not take a real risk and follow our health advice?"

Did you post it? :hilarity:

April 7th, 2013, 7:44 pm

lewist wrote:
jdc wrote:

Did you post it? :hilarity:

No, I couldn't get the damn thing to work. It kept asking me to click on something to authorise the app or summat then when I did that it just brought the same message up again after I'd tried to do what it was asking me to do.

Probably some setting in Firefox that stops it working or summat.

Never mind.

I suppose if anyone who can make the app work wants to post it that'd do.

April 7th, 2013, 8:40 pm
Profile WWW

jdc wrote:
It kept asking me to click on something to authorise the app or summat then when I did that it just brought the same message up again after I'd tried to do what it was asking me to do..
Yup. The only way you can vote or add new ones is through a facebook app, so you need to be on f/b to do so. Personally, apart from never allowing any f/b apps, there's no way I want to share the minimal f/b info I do with WDDTY. Despite liking the idea, it's marketing trawling jdc and best avoided IMPO :)

April 7th, 2013, 10:12 pm

To post, you have to "Like" the WDDTY F/B page. You can always "Unlike" it immeditately afterwards. (Pity there's not a "Dislike" button as well :D )

My "policy" with F/B apps is that I disable them as soon as I have finished using them.

The Davids (Parker & James) seem to be in the lead. Surprised David Parker's has "survived"; there's been a lot of chaff that hasn't (I've had 3 deleted so far :laughter: but I'm now being deliberately provocative which, I hope, might take the scrutiny off the others). Just off to enter another one...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. (Richard Feynman)

April 8th, 2013, 9:37 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
To post, you have to "Like" the WDDTY F/B page.
Be tempted to "Like" it then post that I do so because it is a fine example of the danger of unqualified woo and can be used as an example of such to help educate others to be more sensible.

April 8th, 2013, 1:35 pm
Profile WWW

This seems an appropriate thread to promote my latest blog post mention an article I spotted in WDDTY on measles & MMR. Or someone spotted it and pointed it out to me. It was definitely one of the two.

http://jdc325.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/ ... asles-mmr/

He seemed to think the DeStefano paper that looked at the number of antigens children received from all vaccines was a study of MMR and autism. The bit where he cherry picked random numbers from the confidence intervals of unadjusted odds ratios was a bit odd too.

June 26th, 2013, 10:37 pm
Profile WWW

Indeed. It is difficult to know whether it's deliberate or not...

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

June 26th, 2013, 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

Tesco drop What Doctors Don’t Tell You

May 1st, 2014, 10:18 pm
Profile WWW

Good. I believe Waitrose already has.

May 1st, 2014, 10:24 pm

getreal wrote:
Good. I believe Waitrose already has.

Yes, they dropped it last year. Just waiting for the others...

May 1st, 2014, 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]