View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mayim Bialik 

Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this.

The extremely popular US TV series, The Big Bang Theory is a sit com about a group of super intelligent science nerds and a waitress/actress.

It is extremely funny and frequently pokes fun at woo of all shapes and sizes.

One of the main characters is Amy, a neurobiologist who dates Sheldon, a super smart, but socially inept theoretical physicist, and arguably the programmes most popular character.

Now. Here's the thing.

The actress who plays Amy, mayim Bialik, actually has a degree in neuroscience and in her PhD researched some aspect of Prader-Willi syndrome. A smart cookie,you would think.
But you'd be wrong. This woman, who is an extremely successful actress (she has been acting since the age of 12, and starred in a very successful teen show for many years) and has published a successfully book on parenting (clearly hardworking and dedicated) is a prominent anti vaxer and supporter of all sorts of nonsensical woo.

I actually feel she is bringing the programme into disrepute by being so public about her views. If she were "just an acress" it would be less important, but she has a background in science.

I will post links to some of her nonsense when I can.

March 26th, 2014, 10:44 pm

I rarely watch the programme, but I think someone mentioned this on Twitter recently.

I found this on Mums Who Vax:
Quote:
About halfway through the interview, he did ask her about vaccines.

She responded: “Attachment Parenting as defined by Dr. William Sears and Attachment Parenting International has absolutely no opinion on vaccines. It is a completely separate issue, one that I do not discuss in the book for that reason. What I do mention in the book is that I give some resources for some kind of pros and cons kind of books. . . What I do say is that we researched every single vaccine, and we spoke about each individual vaccine with our pediatrician. We went to the CDC sources. The number of vaccines that we received when you and I were kids is a third or a fourth less than kids get now. So my feeling is, you can really do whatever you want, just like I get to do whatever I want. But I don't inherently think that no one should get the flu [vaccine], for example. That's my personal opinion. Meaning, to me, the things that people choose to vaccinate against are not necessarily things that were vaccinated against 20 or 30 years ago. My feeling is that everyone gets to decide and do research based on their family and their needs as to what they want to do, but it's completely separate from Attachment Parenting or from my book.”

Mayim Bialik has made a mistake by refusing to vaccinate her children, and she has done so based on bad information and erroneous logic.

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

March 27th, 2014, 12:06 am
Profile WWW

I read that quote wondering just what she was saying, it is almost incoherent. Does this woman really have a valid uni degree or something sent by post?

Later: checked her Wiki page - could have been, and probably was, written by her PR people, but it does mention the U. of California in the list of key words but not in the text itself.

Perhaps she is a "neuro(tic)scientist"?

March 27th, 2014, 10:32 am
Profile WWW

She attended UCLA. A proper university and went on to complete a phu researching Prader-Willi syndrome. She's not unintelligent.

The paediatrician she says she spoke with is the same paediatrician Jenny McCarthy attends with her children.

It is grossly irresponsible to say that in relation to vaccination "everyone gets to do what eh want to do".

If I choose to drive my car at 100mph, it's not just my like I endanger- it's all those who are unfortunate to find themselves in my path.

To maintain herd immunity and in the face of such ludicrous and dangerous views, I firmly believe vaccination should be compulsory. This is eminently achievable and will ensure that those who genuinely cannot be vaccinated are safe from preventable disease,

March 27th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Tut, can't make vaccination compulsory can we? Just send all the non-vaccinated to a remote island somewhere?

March 27th, 2014, 4:36 pm
Profile WWW

The other side of vaccination is this: the immune system, like any other part of the body, needs to be exercised or it weakens. Vaccines may be considered as crutches for the immune system. Use them, especially on those whose immune systems could have coped with the disease in the first place, and the immune system will weaken. Compulsory vaccination will inevitably lead to a population whose immune systems are ever weakening and where ever greater numbers of vaccines have to be administered to make up for this.

It may seem harsh to suggest that, without good reason, vaccines should not be administered to children. This may lead to high death rates among younger people, but the alternative may be a catastrophic weakening of the immune systems of the entire population.

My personal policy towards illness, which I have developed over the past 20 odd years (and the result of learning to interpret dreams) goes against most orthodox approaches. Basically the idea is cure rather than prevention. When I get ill I do not coddle myself, do not go to bed, do not give up work, unless I am so ill that I can't stand up. I also expose myself where possible to the ills that have traditionally beset me. Over the years my "immune system" has responded and I am now virtually free of asthma, bronchitis, bad hip (the kind of thing that the doctor would have had me down for a hip replacement), colds and 'flu, bad back, hay fever and other allergies, anaemia, headaches, upset stomachs etc. My health has never been better.

March 28th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Panto. You clearly do not understand basic biology because what you are saying is utter rubbish.

The immune system does not need "exercised". For a start the "immune system" is not just antibodies. It includes such things as skin, the lymphatic system and various types of blood cells- and lots of other things besides.
However, I forgive your ignorance, as you believe in he power to interpret dreams. This in itself explains your lack of knowledge.

Dave. Why not? We limit people behaviour in other areas of life to protect the many. Why not vaccination? Why is that different?

March 28th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Boost Your Immune System?

March 28th, 2014, 11:16 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Dave. Why not? We limit people behaviour in other areas of life to protect the many. Why not vaccination? Why is that different?
Sorry, getreal, that was a sarky attempt at a joke. Yes, crash hats, seal belts are examples, even all the H&S stuff that can make things so safe that a lot of education is taken out of life when it is poorly applied.

But, perhaps vaccination does not have the dangers of allowing lethal weapons to be carried in some ways but disease - unseen, uncaring - can be just as deadly.

From personal experience I am not so sure about the lack of value of dream "interpretation" when applied to our personal physical health, psychology and the sub-conscious mind. The "threat" dreams in the year before my heart attack, pre-dating the gross physical symptoms and which stopped immediately after the MI, could be said to be "predictive" by some with good reason. My sub-conscious seemed to know what was happening before my conscious mind, and did its best to inform me in its usual cryptic and enigmatic ways!

But Freud stretched things somewhat methinks and woo is woo by any standard.

March 28th, 2014, 11:22 pm
Profile WWW

Good article that, thanks, Alan.

March 28th, 2014, 11:26 pm
Profile WWW

Dave B wrote:
So many quacks claim they can boost your immune system, it's disgusting.

March 28th, 2014, 11:41 pm
Profile WWW

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:
It should be criminal.

Surely it must come under the "Description of . . ." or fraud laws somehow?

March 29th, 2014, 10:17 am
Profile WWW

Dave B wrote:
Alan H wrote:
It should be criminal.

Surely it must come under the "Description of . . ." or fraud laws somehow?
It could be an offence under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and would certainly be a breach of the ASA's advertising code, but there are so many!

March 29th, 2014, 10:39 am
Profile WWW

pantodragon wrote:
The other side of vaccination is this: the immune system, like any other part of the body, needs to be exercised or it weakens. Vaccines may be considered as crutches for the immune system. Use them, especially on those whose immune systems could have coped with the disease in the first place, and the immune system will weaken. Compulsory vaccination will inevitably lead to a population whose immune systems are ever weakening and where ever greater numbers of vaccines have to be administered to make up for this.

It may seem harsh to suggest that, without good reason, vaccines should not be administered to children. This may lead to high death rates among younger people, but the alternative may be a catastrophic weakening of the immune systems of the entire population.

My personal policy towards illness, which I have developed over the past 20 odd years (and the result of learning to interpret dreams) goes against most orthodox approaches. Basically the idea is cure rather than prevention. When I get ill I do not coddle myself, do not go to bed, do not give up work, unless I am so ill that I can't stand up. I also expose myself where possible to the ills that have traditionally beset me. Over the years my "immune system" has responded and I am now virtually free of asthma, bronchitis, bad hip (the kind of thing that the doctor would have had me down for a hip replacement), colds and 'flu, bad back, hay fever and other allergies, anaemia, headaches, upset stomachs etc. My health has never been better.

Panto, what makes you think vaccines weaken the immune system?

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... type=HWCIT

Quote:
Current studies do not support the hypothesis that multiple vaccines overwhelm, weaken, or “use up” the immune system. On the contrary, young infants have an enormous capacity to respond to multiple vaccines, as well as to the many other challenges present in the environment. By providing protection against a number of bacterial and viral pathogens, vaccines prevent the “weakening” of the immune system and consequent secondary bacterial infections occasionally caused by natural infection.

March 30th, 2014, 3:10 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
On the contrary, in Germany, a study of 496 vaccinated and unvaccinated children found that children who received immunizations against diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus, Hib, and polio within the first 3 months of life had fewer infections with vaccine-related and -unrelated pathogens than the nonvaccinated group.61

March 30th, 2014, 3:12 am
Profile WWW

Dave B wrote:
Tut, can't make vaccination compulsory can we?
Not unless you are Croatian.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. (Richard Feynman)

March 30th, 2014, 1:16 pm
Profile WWW

Tetenterre wrote:
Dave B wrote:
Tut, can't make vaccination compulsory can we?
Not unless you are Croatian.

In some US states, you cannot enrol your child in school or daycare without up to date vaccinations, although AFAIK there is a get out clause for "religious reasons". And of course, a lot of the anti vac community have a downer on organised schooling and home school, so the get round it that way.

I don't think making vaccination compulsory is extreme. It protects all the members of society, not least those who are most at risk due to extreme young age, those who are seriously ill and immunocompromised people.

Iodine is added to salt, margarine is fortified with vitamins and fluoride is added to water. All to make us healthier.

So why not compulsory vaccination?

March 30th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Quote:
So why not compulsory vaccination?

<devil's advocate>
So what about the paranoid people who will say that it allows the government to inject kids with nasty psychotropic drugs that will turn them into mere robots - or something? WTDDTY etc. would have a field day!!!
</devil's advocate>

March 31st, 2014, 10:08 am
Profile WWW

In the immune system, you’re dealing with something that is extremely complex and necessarily of complex systems, it is SELF-REGULATING. You interfere with a self-regulating complex system and you’ll get everything you deserve --- in this case, diseases you would not otherwise have got, psychological damage and damage to the immune system itself, besides much else that is entirely unpredictable.

Asking for evidence? When will you get your heads round that for every paper you find that supports vaccination, I can find one (and so could you too if you looked) that damns vaccinations. When will you open your eyes and see that science DOES NOT HAVE THE ANSWERS. The writing is on the wall. Admittedly scientists are only BEGINNING to acknowledge, and that quietly, that science is not going to come up with the answers, that in fact, it is following in the footsteps of its older relative, philosophy. Philosophers, as I’m sure you all know, have long since climbed down from the dizzy heights of claiming to be able to find the answers to the questions of life, the universe and everything and have retreated to some position such as: it’s not the answers that matter, but the ability to philosophise????!!!!???!!!! Science is getting there. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. You don’t have to take my word for it, indeed I wish you wouldn’t, you just have to open your eyes and ears.

Really, you lot need to get your heads screwed on right. You’re all so busy farting around with evidence, asking for evidence and not getting your backsides off your damned chairs to get out there and try something for yourself. Start with the simple things like the headache pills or the hay fever pills. Try coming off them. Just see for yourselves how much better your health becomes. Of course, it requires a degree of courage and that is something you may find yourself short of. To decide to take your health into your own hands when you have been brought up dependent upon and trusting doctors, is no small thing. But you can start (as I did) with small things e.g. headache pills. Once you find out how much better you become and how much your headaches lessen when you come off the pills, you feel encouraged to go on and try bigger things. I, for example, used to have to carry around an asthma inhaler. It was not easy to throw it out, and when I felt an attack coming on, instead of relaxing to get out and go for a run or do some other strenuous exercise. The exercise brought on the attack but when I worked on the attack broke and my lungs cleared in the most amazing way and I could breathe with an ease I had not experienced in years. The attacks became less frequent and now I am not bothered by asthma. The psychological benefit is improved confidence --- to get to the state that I am where I know I can look after myself and do not need doctors, is liberating and confidence boosting in the extreme.

If you have difficulty coming off, say, headache pills, my advice would be this: take alcohol instead. Shock! Horror! Well, yes doctors do advise against it but again, personal experience says doctors are wrong and alcohol is much less damaging than other drugs.

March 31st, 2014, 3:48 pm

:hilarity: :hilarity: :hilarity:

March 31st, 2014, 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next