INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Natural World

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Re: The Natural World

#581 Post by Alan H » March 6th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Coypu.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#582 Post by Dave B » March 6th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Capybara - biggest cousin to guinea pig.

There is a "middle" sized job called a mara.

http://www.porfell.co.uk/items/capybara/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_(mammal)
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#583 Post by Alan H » March 6th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Yes!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#584 Post by Maria Mac » March 6th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Thanks, Dave. :)

Dave B

#585 Post by Dave B » March 6th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Maras are great, they are like a cross between a hare and a small deer - because they fill similar niches in the environment. Capybaras are water margin dwellers and can be very heavy (and tasty I am told).
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#586 Post by Alan C. » March 15th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Looking forward to next weeks eclipse, we are getting 97% coverage, the best in the UK apparently.
From MSN.

"Shetland expects to be one of the darkest places in the country, with an eclipse of approximately 97%. Sumburgh lighthouse, at the southern tip of the Mainland, will be live-streaming images of the cosmic event to the Rosemount observatory in Cornwall, where a total eclipse was viewed in 1999.

Dedicated solar eclipse cruises will be stopping off in Shetland and Orkney, with more than 2,500 passengers heading north to take advantage of the islands’ dark skies and minimal light pollution."
:smile:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Fia

#587 Post by Fia » March 15th, 2015, 9:20 pm

Hope you get clear skies Alan. Enjoy :D

In 1999 it was dreich here so we walked in the woods. My children really enjoyed the creepyness of the diminished light yet it kindled their curiosity of what's beyond our pale blue dot.

Alan H

#588 Post by Alan H » April 21st, 2015, 10:52 am

Alan Henness

Ron Webb

#589 Post by Ron Webb » April 23rd, 2015, 3:56 pm

I'll be waiting to see if the Disney Company launches a lawsuit against the Creator for copyright infringement.

Dave B

#590 Post by Dave B » April 23rd, 2015, 5:12 pm

^ :hilarity:
Me, 2015

Alan H

#591 Post by Alan H » April 27th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#592 Post by Alan H » May 21st, 2015, 10:03 am

WTF, Evolution?!

All about strange animals that evolution created. With conversations with evolution such as this one...
“Okay, okay, I’ve got one. ‘Sloths.’”

“Sloths?”

“Sloths! They’ll live in trees and climb around and eat leaves.”

“That sounds pretty cute, evolution. But leaves aren’t all that nutritious, are they? How are they going to get enough energy to climb around?”

“Oh, I thought of that! They’ll supplement their diets with algae that they grow in their own fur. I even put special channels in their hairs to collect rainwater and keep the algae moist.”

“Huh, okay… but then what are the algae going to feed on?”

“Thought of that too. They’ll be fertilized by all the moths that also live in the sloth’s fur.”

“Wait, what? Seriously? Moths? And how are the moths going to reproduce? Their larvae need to eat something too, you know.”

“Yup, thought of that. Once a week, when the sloth needs to poop, it’ll climb down from the tree and poop on the ground. Then the moths can lay their eggs in the dung, and the larvae will eat that.”

“Okay, this is ridiculous. I mean, doesn’t climbing down to poop defeat the whole purpose of living in a tree? Won’t that make it stupidly easy for a jaguar or something to come along and eat them?”

“Well, yeah, that does happen. Kind of a lot, actually.”

“And?”

“Look, no system’s perfect.”
Alan Henness

thundril

#593 Post by thundril » June 1st, 2015, 9:45 am

This looks hopeful.

Dave B

#594 Post by Dave B » June 1st, 2015, 11:15 am

One heck of an idea!

But nothing will cope with the current load of nano/micro particles already on the sea floors and in deeper suspension.
Me, 2015

Dave B

#595 Post by Dave B » June 12th, 2015, 7:09 pm

We may have had this before but, after news of drunken chimps I remembered it - getting pissed is perfectly natural!

Me, 2015

Dave B

#596 Post by Dave B » June 25th, 2015, 4:59 pm

Hey, Paolo is on R4's Inside Science saying that chimps are monkeys!

:wink:
Me, 2015

Alan H

#597 Post by Alan H » August 2nd, 2015, 1:05 am

Wow: Wild Crow Shows Incredible Intelligence During Complex Test

We're not told how much training/practice the crow had had before this, but still very clever.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#598 Post by Alan H » September 2nd, 2015, 8:09 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#599 Post by Alan H » November 26th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Alan Henness

Dave B

#600 Post by Dave B » November 26th, 2015, 3:40 pm

Crazy!

But I bet it has potential for work in gene therapy.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#601 Post by Alan H » November 28th, 2015, 1:14 am

Alan Henness