INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Complementary therapies

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

Re: Complementary therapies

#521 Post by Alan H » October 11th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Lots to make your friend pause and think!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#522 Post by Alan H » November 26th, 2012, 8:06 pm

Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Tetenterre

#523 Post by Tetenterre » November 27th, 2012, 4:25 am

Oh dear. :we-really-need-a-"shakes-head-in-utter-disbelief"-icon:

Good blogpost, Alan!
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#524 Post by Dave B » November 27th, 2012, 8:57 am

Looks like another good reason for a republic!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#525 Post by Dave B » May 2nd, 2013, 11:10 am

Following TT's explanation of kinesiology on the Nightingale thread I'd like to offer this:

"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#526 Post by Tetenterre » May 2nd, 2013, 12:18 pm

Excellent! Thanks. :D
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

jdc

#527 Post by jdc » July 6th, 2013, 12:17 am

I've just been reading Notts Healthcare (seems to be an NHS trust, possibly a CMHT?) policy on CAM: http://www.nottinghamshirehealthcare.nh ... ?locale=en (see 1.10 - link goes to PDF).

It's a bit... :/
My Blog; Twitter.
Email: 325jdc325 (at) googlemail.com

Alan H

#528 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2013, 12:41 am

jdc wrote:I've just been reading Notts Healthcare (seems to be an NHS trust, possibly a CMHT?) policy on CAM: http://www.nottinghamshirehealthcare.nh ... ?locale=en (see 1.10 - link goes to PDF).

Hmmm... I'll take a closer look over the weekend, but a lot of room for improvement. Do you know if all Trusts/CCGs have this?
Alan Henness

jdc

#529 Post by jdc » July 6th, 2013, 2:19 am

Alan H wrote:
jdc wrote:I've just been reading Notts Healthcare (seems to be an NHS trust, possibly a CMHT?) policy on CAM: http://www.nottinghamshirehealthcare.nh ... ?locale=en (see 1.10 - link goes to PDF).

Hmmm... I'll take a closer look over the weekend, but a lot of room for improvement. Do you know if all Trusts/CCGs have this?
Sorry, not sure. Was trying to look up something unrelated and happened on the CMHT CAM policy for Notts. Not sure if all trusts have policies or what they look like (if they exist).

I've just looked for 'CMHT policy' and CAM and the first one that popped up was North Essex - they have a new treatment policy that covers CAM and it reads very differently to the Notts version: http://www.nepft.nhs.uk/_uploads/docume ... rapies.pdf
My Blog; Twitter.
Email: 325jdc325 (at) googlemail.com

Dave B

#530 Post by Dave B » July 6th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Couldn't find anything on CAM policy for the Glos. NHS Trust on search string: "gloucestershire hospitals nhs trust complementary and alternative medicine policy"

But the NHS are still touting career info on CAM
Me, 2015

lewist

#531 Post by lewist » July 6th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Changing the subject,this is worth a read.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#532 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2013, 7:46 pm

lewist wrote:Changing the subject,this is worth a read.
Paul Offit's book is called Killing Us Softly: The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine in the UK.

We saw him at a talk in London a few weeks and and got a copy of his book. Athena is reading it at the moment...
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#533 Post by Alan C. » July 6th, 2013, 8:57 pm

Not sure why this is only in the news 7 years later, draw your own conclusions.
When a massage therapist tried to treat the headaches she suffered after a 2006 car crash with acupuncture, however, he set off a cascade of health problems that would shatter Ms. Ribble-Orr’s sports-centred life — and raise questions about the popular needle therapy.
Canadian Olympian’s ‘nightmare’ after acupuncture needle collapses her lung.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan H

#534 Post by Alan H » July 6th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Alan C. wrote:Not sure why this is only in the news 7 years later, draw your own conclusions.
Ahem...
An Ontario court has just upheld the one-year disciplinary suspension imposed on therapist Scott Spurrell, rejecting his appeal in a case that highlights a rare but well-documented side effect of acupuncture.
But a one year suspension seems incredibly lenient.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#535 Post by Dave B » July 6th, 2013, 10:53 pm

On a lighter tone: just visited a friend who was quite forcible in her assertion that homoeopathy was utter rubbish but staunchly defended chiropractic therapy, even when the last several hundred pounds she spent on it left her with more pain than she had to start with . . . There is no accounting for folks! :rolleyes:
Me, 2015

Dave B

#536 Post by Dave B » July 11th, 2013, 9:09 pm

I was looking for a small shoulder/belt bag for my Kindle + other bits when I found one recommended by The College of Chiropractors.

It was too big for what I wanted anyway, but not sure why it had their recommendation, had a wide shoulder strap I suppose . . .
Me, 2015

Alan H

#537 Post by Alan H » July 11th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Dave B wrote:I was looking for a small shoulder/belt bag for my Kindle + other bits when I found one recommended by The College of Chiropractors.

It was too big for what I wanted anyway, but not sure why it had their recommendation, had a wide shoulder strap I suppose . . .
You mean the ROYAL College of Chiropractors...
Alan Henness

getreal

#538 Post by getreal » July 11th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Dave B wrote:On a lighter tone: just visited a friend who was quite forcible in her assertion that homoeopathy was utter rubbish but staunchly defended chiropractic therapy, even when the last several hundred pounds she spent on it left her with more pain than she had to start with . . . There is no accounting for folks! :rolleyes:

I've just had a similar wierd conversation with a friend (uni lecturer in the past. Science faculty no less) who poo pooed homeopathy then went on to say "of coutse, Reiki is a whole different ball game.That actually works!" WTF?????

On the subject of Royal Incorporation...

Hudson's Bay Company
Royal British Columbia Museum
Royal Canadian Yaught club
Royal Opera House
Theatre Royal Drury Lane
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

there's hunners an' hunners o' them!
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#539 Post by Alan H » July 11th, 2013, 10:19 pm

getreal wrote:
Dave B wrote:On a lighter tone: just visited a friend who was quite forcible in her assertion that homoeopathy was utter rubbish but staunchly defended chiropractic therapy, even when the last several hundred pounds she spent on it left her with more pain than she had to start with . . . There is no accounting for folks! :rolleyes:

I've just had a similar wierd conversation with a friend (uni lecturer in the past. Science faculty no less) who poo pooed homeopathy then went on to say "of coutse, Reiki is a whole different ball game.That actually works!" WTF?????
That's unusual. Believers of quackery generally never rubbish others - even the really stupid ones!

On the subject of Royal Incorporation...

Hudson's Bay Company
Royal British Columbia Museum
Royal Canadian Yaught club
Royal Opera House
Theatre Royal Drury Lane
Commonwealth War Graves Commission

there's hunners an' hunners o' them!
Erm...that isn't Royal Incorporation. A Royal Charter of Incorporation is granted by the Privy Council, with Nick Clegg as Lord President. What is a Royal Charter?
A Royal Charter is a way of incorporating a body, that is turning it from a collection of individuals into a single legal entity. A body incorporated by Royal Charter has all the powers of a natural person, including the power to sue and be sued in its own right. Royal Charters were at one time the only means of incorporating a body, but there are now other means (becoming a registered company, for example), so the grant of new Charters is comparatively rare. New grants of Royal Charters are these days reserved for eminent professional bodies or charities which have a solid record of achievement and are financially sound. In the case of professional bodies they should represent a field of activity which is unique and not covered by other professional bodies.
The College of Chiropractors were granted this last November and it put them on a par with:

London Homoeopathic Hospital
The Worshipful Company of Launderers
The Worshipful Company of International Bankers
Worshipful Company of Builders’ Merchants
Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge
Worshipful Company of Basketmakers
The Worshipful Company of Marketors
Basildon Borough
Girl Guides Association
The Worshipful Company of Tax Advisers

However, they then went on to gain permission to use the word 'Royal'. The Privy Council told me:
The grant of permission to use the prefix ‘Royal’ in the title of a Company or Organisation is not dealt with by the Privy Council Office. Applications are processed by the Constitutional Policy Team, Parliament and Constitution Division.
Full details in my blog post: A right Royal chiro cock-up

However, this move has been denounced: What is next? A Royal College of window-salesmen?
Alan Henness

Dave B

#540 Post by Dave B » July 11th, 2013, 10:25 pm

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:I was looking for a small shoulder/belt bag for my Kindle + other bits when I found one recommended by The College of Chiropractors.

You mean the ROYAL College of Chiropractors...
It's their coat of arms but the word "Royal" does not appear in the image shown. Can't copy the image and can't be arsed to set up a link to a long URL!

Later: the Google entry title has the title without the word "Royal" as well.
Me, 2015

getreal

#541 Post by getreal » July 11th, 2013, 11:02 pm

thanks for clearing thaqt up for me. Alan.

I must say, those organisations are somewhat less impressive than the ones I posted.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.