INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Drugs Don’t Cause Addiction

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Alan H

Drugs Don’t Cause Addiction

#1 Post by Alan H » March 1st, 2016, 12:45 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: Drugs Don’t Cause Addiction

#2 Post by Dave B » March 1st, 2016, 3:29 pm

Excellent.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Lord Muck oGentry

#3 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » March 1st, 2016, 7:12 pm

Excellent video. The facts are fairly well known, and they deserve to be better known. Mind you, it isn't easy getting the facts across to the war-on-drugs brigade, who prefer not to cloud their judgement with facts.

I've often thought that the drug baron's best friend is the drugs tsar: the baron ( if he has any sense) will be sending the tsar birthday cards, Xmas gifts and solicitous notes begging him to wrap up in cold weather and to take care crossing the street. The firmer the resolve of the prohibitionist, the better the baron's business...
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

jaywhat

#4 Post by jaywhat » March 2nd, 2016, 6:51 am

fascinating

animist

#5 Post by animist » March 2nd, 2016, 10:29 am

the war on drugs may well be a mistake, but that does not entail that physical addiction does not exist, does it? How about infant addiction due to the mother's addiction?
http://news.sky.com/story/1547817/babie ... ial-report

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » March 2nd, 2016, 11:27 am

animist wrote:the war on drugs may well be a mistake, but that does not entail that physical addiction does not exist, does it? How about infant addiction due to the mother's addiction?
Good point, animist.

I was wondering about the psychological dependency angle. Seem to remember reading about a possible genetic component in those personality types who have an "emotional" need for some sort of reward.

My only addiction was baccy, tried to give it up many, many times, grew heartily sick of the habit - but could not seem to break the need for the "dummy", the "comforter" (hardly surprising considering some aspects of my life experience!) However, after a day on morphine, after my heart attack, and during my subsequent three weeks in hospital I found that the link had been broken. In fact I think it was broken on day 2, I never missed it - unlike the bloke in the next bed who discharged himself because he was not allowed to smoke on the hospital grounds.

Back to work and I felt the occasional need for something and "habitual memory" dictated tobacco. However, I found that a two finger KitKat and five minutes sitting quietly in the canteen was a viable substitute! Luckily, since a fair slice of my job was purely brain work I could honestly get away with claiming that I was still working whilst staring into the far distance...
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » March 2nd, 2016, 12:14 pm

Further on the subject of psychological addiction one has to consider non-chemical (discounting dopamine etc.) addictions such as gambling.

Thinkihg of pleasure hormones, is that the baeis of addiction?
Me, 2015

Ken H

#8 Post by Ken H » March 2nd, 2016, 8:33 pm

Very interesting. I borrowed the link.
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Lord Muck oGentry

#9 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » March 2nd, 2016, 10:43 pm

animist wrote:the war on drugs may well be a mistake, but that does not entail that physical addiction does not exist, does it? How about infant addiction due to the mother's addiction?
That's a good point, animist. There is a physical component to addiction, certainly. And in neonates the effects of addiction may be not only unpleasant but also dangerous to the child in the longer term:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2571530/

Neonates, however, are not psychosocial creatures as adults are: a baby may be happy or unhappy, but it can hardly be fulfilled or unfulfilled, be respected or slighted or rejoice in success rather than feel downcast at failure. One of the crucial points of the video is that addictive behaviour is less likely when there is something to be done that is worth doing. If that is right, we should be asking whether we can reduce the number of addicted neonates by reducing addiction in adults generally and, consequently, in expectant mothers.

That means changing attitudes drastically It's a lot to ask, of course. It means accepting that the war on drugs has been largely a failure; and that failure is less shameful than what has been widely seen as success...

I'm afraid this is one of the few subjects that set me off. If you hear me muttering darkly about the need for victors' justice, you may take turns sitting on me until the fit passes. :laughter:
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey