INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Free will

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Radius

Re: Free will

#21 Post by Radius » January 30th, 2011, 5:46 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Alan C. wrote:
Wrestler
I think I've always doubted free will.
How can you doubt free will?
Assuming you accept philosophical naturalism, a better question to ask would be: "what makes you think you have 'free will'?"

The Universe is an automaton. We are part of the Universe. Therefore, we have no free will.* End of story.

* Compatibilism is a load of mealy-mouthed rubbish.

Midnightandmorning

#22 Post by Midnightandmorning » January 30th, 2011, 3:46 pm

If I did not have free will, I would not be a Humanist. I would instead be what my parents inculcated me to be: a fundamentalist Christian.
Author of Between Midnight and Morning http://www.bjmbooks.com

Radius

#23 Post by Radius » January 30th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Midnightandmorning wrote:If I did not have free will, I would not be a Humanist. I would instead be what my parents inculcated me to be: a fundamentalist Christian.
this is a poor argument for free will

you are an automaton that evolved to a certain state because of internal constitution and environmental factors

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace%27s_demon

animist

#24 Post by animist » January 30th, 2011, 9:41 pm

Radius wrote:
Midnightandmorning wrote:If I did not have free will, I would not be a Humanist. I would instead be what my parents inculcated me to be: a fundamentalist Christian.
this is a poor argument for free will

you are an automaton that evolved to a certain state because of internal constitution and environmental factors

see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace%27s_demon
your own seems Wiki article citation seems to contradict what you say. And it's not clear what you mean by saying the Universe is an automaton, specially as you don't believe in a god which might have set it in motion. We assume that most things work by cause and effect, but this cannot be proved, and anyway, as the posts above have said, determinism is not actually inconsistent with free will; Alan and M&M are not mistaken when they say they were free to do the things they mention by any significant interpretation of the word "free".

thundril

#25 Post by thundril » January 31st, 2011, 3:00 pm

I also cannot grasp what Radius intends with his use of the word 'automaton'; he uses this word to describe both the universe and the individual (m&m in this case). And as Animst points out, this level of determinism is clearly challenged in the wiki extract Radius himself cites.
Laplace made a huge contribution to science in his day, and his speculations about determinism are entirely understandable, and in fact rather courageous, in the context of his time. Recall his response to the Emperor Napoleon, when challenged about his omission of the Creator in his Celestial Mechanics ; "I had no need of that hypothesis."

Radius

#26 Post by Radius » January 31st, 2011, 5:30 pm

animist wrote:your own seems Wiki article citation seems to contradict what you say.
it has dissenting viewpoints

I don't think, unlike some interpreters of QM, that there is really such a thing as aleatory probability though

only epistemic probability
animist wrote:And it's not clear what you mean by saying the Universe is an automaton, specially as you don't believe in a god which might have set it in motion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_physics

thundril

#27 Post by thundril » January 31st, 2011, 5:50 pm

This is an interesting article, Radius. (I mean the Wiki article re Digital physics.)
I'm not a trained scientist, but I have a desire to understand. Perhaps you can clarify a few points for me.
It is suggested in the article that "Some try to identify single physical particles with simple bits. For example, if one particle, such as an electron, is switching from one quantum state to another, it may be the same as if a bit is changed from one value (0, say) to the other (1). A single bit suffices to describe a single quantum switch of a given particle. " If this 'binary' model gives 10^90 binary bits, what would be the change in computational power required if each particle had more than 2 possible states?

Wilson

#28 Post by Wilson » February 1st, 2011, 2:47 am

Radius wrote:The Universe is an automaton. We are part of the Universe. Therefore, we have no free will.* End of story.
I sort of agree with that, theoretically and logically, on a sub-microscopic level.

But you can choose chicken or steak for dinner. You can choose to hit your significant other or kiss him or her.

The real issue is whether we see ourselves as independent entities or not. If you think you have a self, then you have free will. Theoretically and logically, on a submicroscopic level, we aren't anything more than the particles that make us up. We are part of the universe, cause and effect, nothing else.

But if you think of yourself as a person, then you have free will. And I defy anyone to not think of himself as a person; that's built into our DNA. Either we are individuals with free will, or we are nothing but collections of particles and energy in a deterministic universe. Those are the only choices. I kind of believe in both.

thundril

#29 Post by thundril » February 1st, 2011, 10:09 am

Radius wrote: I don't think, unlike some interpreters of QM, that there is really such a thing as aleatory probability though
only epistemic probability
Don't you mean this the other way round? Are you really saying that the sub-atomic world is only probabilistic in our view, and not in reality?

animist

#30 Post by animist » February 1st, 2011, 10:23 am

Wilson wrote:
Radius wrote:The Universe is an automaton. We are part of the Universe. Therefore, we have no free will.* End of story.
I sort of agree with that, theoretically and logically, on a sub-microscopic level.

But you can choose chicken or steak for dinner. You can choose to hit your significant other or kiss him or her.

The real issue is whether we see ourselves as independent entities or not. If you think you have a self, then you have free will. Theoretically and logically, on a submicroscopic level, we aren't anything more than the particles that make us up. We are part of the universe, cause and effect, nothing else.

But if you think of yourself as a person, then you have free will. And I defy anyone to not think of himself as a person; that's built into our DNA. Either we are individuals with free will, or we are nothing but collections of particles and energy in a deterministic universe. Those are the only choices. I kind of believe in both.
I largely agree, as I think the denial of free will by Radius is almost meaningless - since what would it mean to have free will, if he denies that we cannot in principle have it? But one reason I chose my user name is that I think animals provide a useful corrective to your implied all-or-nothing alternatives. If you, Wilson, and I think others, think that we humans have free will, do you think this applies, say, to chimps and dogs, who have personality but do not reflect about things in the way that we do?

Radius

#31 Post by Radius » February 2nd, 2011, 6:27 pm

thundril wrote:Are you really saying that the sub-atomic world is only probabilistic in our view, and not in reality?
yeah

and no I didn't mean it the other way around

that's what (mere) epistemic probability is

thundril

#32 Post by thundril » February 2nd, 2011, 7:08 pm

OK. Thanks for the straight answer, Radius. Best wishes, Jax

Wilson

#33 Post by Wilson » February 2nd, 2011, 9:56 pm

animist wrote: If you, Wilson, and I think others, think that we humans have free will, do you think this applies, say, to chimps and dogs, who have personality but do not reflect about things in the way that we do?
Yes. When dogs play, they can zig left or zag right. They make decisions all day long. They have free will in the same sense as we have it, that is, on a macro level. The more complex the brain of an animal, the less reliance on pure rote instinct. The thing that really sets us apart as humans is language. Without it, I don't think we'd be able to reflect on things in any detail, either. Even with simple decisions, like whether to turn right or left, I sometimes discuss it in words, in my mind. Without language, we'd still be making decisions constantly, but the process would lack subtlety. There would be no philosophy, no science. Personally I think that a lot of qualities we think of as exclusively human are actually present in less complex form in other animals - conscience, empathy, affection, playfulness, and so on.

thundril

#34 Post by thundril » February 2nd, 2011, 10:20 pm

Dogs zig left or right. Ok. They make decisions. This is not (or is it?) the same as making choices. Computers make decisions all the time. I think it would be very strange to claim that computers make choices. Likewise, if other animals make decisions, (if a then zig left,; if not-a then zag right) this is not the same as making choices. Do we, humans, do something different?

robzed

#35 Post by robzed » February 2nd, 2011, 10:41 pm

I'm not sure this helps or not. But free will seems to go along with intelligence, consciousness and time. Everyone thinks they know what they are but the more you scratch the surface the more problems are revealed. One possibility are these are all human memes that actually don't exist - at least not how we think they do. It's sort of a definition problem. Fuzzy thinking if you like. Hence all the problems that crop up. As soon as a someone comes up with a better mental model for these then we can actually reason about them and make a leap in science and/or understanding.

It's a bit like the stupid is "the brain/mind a computer argument". Because the only thing people REALLY know about brains is they are this lump of stuff in your head. Oh, they have neurones as well. But we can't (yet) agree how those work. Or whether they are the only active component. And the mind, yeah, it's ... hmmm.

Either:
1. The brain operates as a computer. (I don't see why it's not - information in, information out, some storage. Don't want to seem to agree with Radius though :laughter: )
2. The brain has some other properties that (current) computers don't have (excluding the right software). (I don't see why you need this ... but I wouldn't have a problem with this as long as they don't invoke the Cliff Sjordal quote (see my post in the Favourite Quotes Thread; it seems that Raymond Tallis and Roger Penrose might be after that award ... I digress).
3. Something else to avoid a false dichotomy :)

(I'm sure it will all be resolved by someone actually doing it ... a bit like 'electric cars will never work'... I'm digressing again...)

Anyhow, Free Will: now I know very little about philosophy and their discussions about free will.

But I sort of agree with some of the people in this thread, that is:

Lots of people assume that you either need to (1) inject free will at the 'lowest level' of the universe (e.g. quantum mechanics) or have some supernatural thing, e.g. the soul (this is really injection at the 'lowest level') or (2) you cannot have free will and everything is fixed and all an illusion.

I'm not sure why you can't 'inject' free will half way up, as it were. One possibility is that once an object/entity THINKS it can make choices, and decided based on a model of the self (which I don't think need be very sophisticated at all - recognition of self in a mirror not necessary), i.e. identified itself as autonomous. (I'm sure I'm not the first one to suggest this - I probably read it somewhere and it has some name that I can't remember ... compatibilism rings a bell ... didn't Radius mention he didn't believe in that?). However, I think, for this to work the universe has to 'grant' the thing that wants to be separate the choices. If you like the universe makes the free will as much as the entity with free will does.

But I think that 'mind' is now separated from the rest of the universe in some strange way. Hence this is now a boundary of sorts, and is now separate, for the purpose of the choices. And hence has the possibility of free will.

Most of the above makes me very uneasy as a programmer. It's dangerously close to theology. But so seems a lot of philosphy to me.

So let me take a simpler case, perhaps with different implications: an 'if' statement that makes a decision in a computer program, that selects a choice of two actions based on a expression combined of inputs and previous knowledge. Why doesn't this if statement have free will? The usual answer will be to do with 'no real choice because it's deterministic or predicable'. But I'm also not sure why that negates it being 'free'.

(Help....)
:D

P.S. Dogs and Computers: I don't know what the difference from computers might be. Hence, I think, the reason I brought up the whole brain=computer thing.

robzed

#36 Post by robzed » February 2nd, 2011, 11:03 pm

I'd also like to say that:
Is "causal determination is the relevant factor in the question of free will"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will).

I'm not sure why it should be. Hence I cannot strongly stand on the side of incompatibilists.

Hence, I cannot see why Radius can be so absolutely certain that "Compatibilism is a load of mealy-mouthed rubbish".

Also...

It may be that the "The Universe is an automaton.".

But of course that doesn't mean it's computable (or we are able to simulate it or something like that) with current Turing complete machines. There may be logic that is outside these machines - even given infinite computation time. May not even with a hybrid quantum/turing-complete machine and infinite time.

Wilson

#37 Post by Wilson » February 3rd, 2011, 1:30 am

thundril wrote:Dogs zig left or right. Ok. They make decisions. This is not (or is it?) the same as making choices. Computers make decisions all the time. I think it would be very strange to claim that computers make choices. Likewise, if other animals make decisions, (if a then zig left,; if not-a then zag right) this is not the same as making choices. Do we, humans, do something different?
To me they're the same. A dog chooses to go left or right, or makes the decision to go left or right, or decides to go left or right. Semantics, really. I do think of our brains as massively complex computers, so if you get down to quantum mechanical level, it all sort of runs by itself. So we can conclude that technically we don't have free will, because it's all cause and effect. And if you get down to that level, let's face facts: We're not anything more than colonies of cells or collections of particles and energy. But if you think of yourself as an independent being, a human person, then you have free will.

So what I'm saying is that I believe we are just colonies of trillions of cells, our brain is a computer, our sense of consciouness is a function of that computer, we are sort of robots, everything - including our decisions - is caused by what went before and not really under anybody's control, and we don't have free will, technically. But at the same time, that's all philosophical and theoretical, and doesn't have anything to do with the world as we experience it. We can't help but think of ourselves as human beings, as independent entities, as people - and we're convinced that we have minds, not a computer inside our skulls. That's programmed into our brains; evolution did that. And if we are all people rather than colonies of cells, if we have minds, we do have free will. As do dogs and chimps.

robzed

#38 Post by robzed » February 3rd, 2011, 7:43 am

Hi Wilson,

I think I agree with you, mostly. And I think this is (maybe) the most popular view for those who have thought about the details and didn't invoke magic. However, we might be wrong in two ways I can think of (and the second is the most strong for me):
Wilson wrote:So we can conclude that technically we don't have free will, because it's all cause and effect.
1. There might be a property of the universe that we are not aware of yet. This needn't be at the quantum or atomic level, but it could be. This might be an emergent property of the universe that only appears at the macro level - it's 'injected at a higher level'. I'm not talking about properties like gravity which are present at an atomic level but too small to have any real effect. A really made up example (unrelated to free will) might be that arranging 500 atoms together gives the assembly a new force that is not a property of the individual elements. Free will might be something like this.

I don't like adding new forces at any level, but still cannot rule it out.

2. Free will might not depend on determinism AT ALL. This is is sort of like saying that just because atoms don't have pouring properties you cannot make a jug (bad example) or that evolution can't exist because there isn't some magical 'evolution' property built into the universe.

Both of these (1 and 2) are sort of related: but the first is more like a physics explanation. The second is more like a arrange causes an effect inside of known physics but impossible to predict from knowing entirely the basic make up of atoms and molecules. There are LOTS of things like this to me.

My difference to your position

This second one is where I might adjust your statement to be my own. I think you are saying that it appears to us that free will appears to exist and that's ok, but it really doesn't exist. I'm saying you can have both determinism and free will. Some people see this as having your cake and eating it, i.e. everything is predestined and the choices are real choices.

I, again, have two problems with this:

1. The assumption: determinism means predestined.
2. That decisions made of evidence or inputs using a process or system are not 'real' choices, in some way. (Sort of "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche"). Because what are the alternatives? Random decisions? How is that real choice? (And from my mind it doesn't matter if the inputs, process or choices are good or bad.)

Does any of this make sense? Is any of these choices logically impossible?

Regards,
Rob

robzed

#39 Post by robzed » February 3rd, 2011, 7:46 am

Here is my free will. I'm going to choose a letter.

Here is it. .... 'k'.

Show me how the universe made me do that.

Feel free to choose your own letter using free will, using any method you choose using free will. Or don't. As long as you choose what to do using free will. :)

Radius

#40 Post by Radius » February 3rd, 2011, 11:58 am

robzed wrote:Here is my free will. I'm going to choose a letter.

Here is it. .... 'k'.

Show me how the universe made me do that.
your biology is reducible to physics and physics is deterministic

therefore the Universe made you do that

QED

Emma Woolgatherer

#41 Post by Emma Woolgatherer » February 3rd, 2011, 12:43 pm

Wilson wrote:But you can choose chicken or steak for dinner. You can choose to hit your significant other or kiss him or her.
You can act according to your desires. But if your desires are determined, and not freely chosen, then can the choices they lead to be said to be truly free?
Wilson wrote:The real issue is whether we see ourselves as independent entities or not. If you think you have a self, then you have free will.
I talk and act as though I have a self, but I'm not convinced that I really have one. What I do have is a sense of self, which I suppose might be described as some kind of emergent property. And perhaps the same could be said of a sense of free will. But a sense of free will is surely not the same as free will as philosophers use the term (let alone as theologians use it).
Wilson wrote:Theoretically and logically, on a submicroscopic level, we aren't anything more than the particles that make us up. We are part of the universe, cause and effect, nothing else.

But if you think of yourself as a person, then you have free will.
No: if you think of yourself as a person, then you think of yourself as having free will. :)
Wilson wrote:And I defy anyone to not think of himself as a person; that's built into our DNA.
I don't know whether it's built into our DNA, but it's certainly part of our language and culture. And they shape the way we think to a considerable extent.
Wilson wrote: Either we are individuals with free will, or we are nothing but collections of particles and energy in a deterministic universe. Those are the only choices. I kind of believe in both.
Hmm. So it's not an either-or, then? :D I think it's pretty clear that we're not "nothing but collections of particles and energy", whether the universe is truly deterministic or not. I assume that the way in which certain collections of particles and energy are ... um ... collected gives rise to certain emergent properties, like, maybe, consciousness, and a sense of self. So perhaps it's possible to think of free will as an emergent property of those emergent properties. But if we do that, I think we're watering down the idea of free will into something rather too subjective to have much philosophical heft.

In my view, the question of whether free will exists, and what exactly it is, is less significant than the question of whether, or to what extent, we are responsible for our actions. That's the question I really struggle with.

Emma