INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The music of a war child

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Alan H

The music of a war child

#1 Post by Alan H » August 24th, 2009, 1:21 pm

Why do we have a world where this still happens? It has to stop. This is so moving and inspirational.

Emmanuel Jal: The music of a war child | Video on TED.com
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

Re: The music of a war child

#2 Post by Alan C. » August 24th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Thanks for posting Alan, I seem to have missed that TED talk.

On the other hand; what can be done for people who just don't want help?
Distressing picture of fgm behind the spoiler,
Spoiler:
Equality? ‘Real Muslim women in Mali don’t want it – it’s un-Islamic!’
TENS of thousands of people in Mali’s capital, Bamako, have been protesting against a new law which gives women equal rights in marriage.

The law, passed earlier this month, also strengthens inheritance rights for women and children born out of wedlock.

The head of a Muslim women’s association says only a minority of Malian women – “the intellectuals” as she put it – supports the law, according to the BBC.

Several other protests have taken place in other parts of the country.
fgm

A young Malian girl pictured being multilated with a razor blade. Photo: Robert Skinner

The law was adopted by the Malian parliament at the beginning of August, and has yet to be signed into force by the President.

One of the most contentious issues in the new legislation is that women are no longer required to obey their husbands.

Hadja Sapiato Dembele of the National Union of Muslim Women’s Associations said the law goes against Islamic principles.

Dembele told the BBC’s Focus on Africa programme:

We have to stick to the Koran.A man must protect his wife, a wife must obey her husband. It’s a tiny minority of women here that wants this new law – the intellectuals. The poor and illiterate women of this country – the real Muslims – are against it.

According to this site, violence against women, including wife beating, is tolerated and common in Mali, where Islam is said to be practiced by around 90 percent of the population.

Furthermore, at least 93.7 opercent of women are subjected to female genital mutilation.
The above is from here. My bold in the quote.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Marian

#3 Post by Marian » August 24th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Alan C. wrote:Thanks for posting Alan, I seem to have missed that TED talk.

On the other hand; what can be done for people who just don't want help?
Is it really a question of actually not wanting help? Or could it be any or all of the following: ignorance, fear, denial, feeling overwhelmed by the odds? I am probably missing a few. On the outside, it appears that many simply don't want help but there are a myriad of reasons most having to do with fear, imo. Fear is a powerful force arising out of real and perceived dangers. Those in control have an almost invisible hold sustained by threat. Threat of death as the most extreme but also threat of social ostracism, harming family members, withholding food etc etc.
I also think the fear of change and the unknown play a huge part in maintaining the status quo. Those who question are openly punished as way of example. I think it takes a great deal of wherewithal to withstand the onslaught; it's easier to let things remain the same.

At the same time, ignorance cannot be allowed to multiply and fear becomes its own jailer. What is the solution? I am not sure but I would hazard a guess that we could start with the children. Maybe we could teach both the boys and girls the benefits of thinking analytically and of questioning established authority for a start. Maybe we could encourage them to see the mutual benefits of appreciating each other and reward them when they co-operate.
Or maybe my head is in the clouds since I have been smoking too much ganja... :laughter: No matter how hard I beat down my idealism, it just sneaks back in there... :smile:
Transformative fire...

Marian

#4 Post by Marian » August 24th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Alan H wrote:Why do we have a world where this still happens? It has to stop. This is so moving and inspirational.
Very moving. Although I could live without the references to jesus and god. Guess we've got our work cut out for us in completing his education... :)
Transformative fire...

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » August 24th, 2009, 8:38 pm

M
Although I could live without the references to jesus and god.
Yes, I meant to mention that point as well.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.