View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2014, 3:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Weird Book Room 

Some of these books would make great gifts for the holidays!

My favorite would be "The Pop-up Book of Phobias". :smile:

http://www.abebooks.com/books/weird/ind ... -_-t-01cta

November 28th, 2010, 4:24 pm
Profile WWW

looking at the site, I was drawn to "Lenin's Embalmers"; the care given to the supposedly worthless cadaver of the great leader seems to remind us that the most irreligious doctrines cannot escape the human need for some form of religiosity

November 28th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Some great looking books there. I bought, "101 Uses for a Dead Cat" as a pressie for a cat loving friend (with the right kind of ironic humour) many years ago. Good imaginative stuff.

November 28th, 2010, 7:50 pm
Profile WWW

Giraffes? Giraffes! is a very funny book and is one of a range of spoof educational books for children, including "Your Disgusting Head: The Darkest, Most Offensive & Moist Secrets of Your Mouth, Nose & Ears."

I bought it for my wife, who has several toy giraffes named after British newsreaders. Don't ask.

Ade

February 13th, 2011, 7:29 pm

adrianbkelly wrote:
I bought it for my wife, who has several toy giraffes named after British newsreaders. Don't ask.
But we need to know...

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

February 14th, 2011, 1:04 am
Profile WWW

My wife loves giraffes and when I bought her a toy one, we had just seen the episode of "The Royle Family" where you find out that Norma's last words were "Trevor McDonald", which she found hilarious. She needed a name for her giraffe and voila!
She now also has Bill Turnbull, Dermot Murnaghan and (not strictly a newsreader) Jeremy Paxman.

She's 35.

February 14th, 2011, 7:24 am

Are you deliberately avoiding the possibility of your giraffes breeding?

While we are on the subject of naming giraffes, (and the topic doesn't come around as often as you might think or wish,) some years back, Longleat had a baby giraffe called Twiglet. Could there ever be a better name for a baby giraffe?

Well, maybe..... If I had a cuddly toy giraffe of my own, I'd call her Sophie Raworth. :wink:

February 14th, 2011, 11:49 am

We have a large cast-iron pig, dressed as a chef, called 'Gross Loydman'.

February 14th, 2011, 12:08 pm

We're not deliberately trying to limit the giraffe population of the house, but I think we'd have to bring in more than one female at one time; it would be cruel to subject Sophie Raworth, or any other female, to the attentions of 4 sex-starved newsreading giraffes. Also, think of the mess!

Twiglet is a great name, especially as Mel loves those too! I'll suggest it to her when she gets her next giraffe.

Ade

February 14th, 2011, 1:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]